Action cameras are great for beginner divers. They are small, simple and easy to use. But when choosing the best action camera for you, there are a few factors you should keep in mind. Your budget will always be an important factor, but there are also other aspects to look into. In this guide, we will compare two great action cameras for underwater use, GoPro and Paralenz. Let’s go over some of the specs of their latest models:
|Paralenz Vaquita||GoPro Hero 9 Black|
|Depth Rating (w/o case)||350m||10m|
|Best Video Resolution||4k (3840×2160)||5k (5120×2880)|
|Field of view||135 degrees||170 degrees|
|Color Correction||WB + DCC||WB|
|Screen||Rear Display||Front screen, Rear Display, Rear Touchscreen|
|Usable with Glove||Yes||No|
|Weight||240 grams||180 grams|
|Dimensions||128 x 40 x 43mm||72 × 55 × 33 mm|
GoPro has been in the game for a long time. If you think about action cameras, GoPro will always be the first that comes to mind. Although they may not be the first to develop a compact camera for extreme conditions, but they were the first to make it wildly popular.
- Image quality is sharper compared to Paralenz
- Shoots 60fps @ 4k, 120fps @ 2.7k and 240fps @1080p
- Impressive in-camera electronics image stabilization, more commonly known as HyperSmooth
- You will need a waterproof case if you are diving more than 33ft. There are a lot of housing options, but aluminum housings like T-housing can take your GoPro down to 250 meters/ 820ft.
- Needs a red filter when shooting underwater. See here for options.
Paralenz has taken the diving world by storm when they introduced their dive camera. As they say, “From divers, for divers”, they created their cameras with scuba and technical divers in mind. Following the success of the Paralenz Dive Camera+, and feedback from divers all around the world, Paralenz reinvented their dive camera into a stronger, more durable, Paralenz Vaquita.
- Waterproof right out the box! You won’t need a housing
- You won’t need additional filters. Thanks to Paralenz’ patented Depth Color Correction (DCC) that corrects the colors dynamically according to depth.
- Longer run time compared to GoPro
- The paralenz records your depth, temperature and location and logs all your dives in a unique app.
- Easy to use even with thick gloves
- More expensive than GoPro
- Small display
- Cannot change batteries, when you run out, you will have to plug it in
If you are using this action camera for diving only, the Paralenz wins by a mile. If you are looking to use the camera for other sports, Gopro may be a better choice.