It’s a tough choice since both cameras are pretty much at the same level. I am a bigger fan of the Sony RX100 V or VI since it has a sharper lens, better autofocus and quicker RAW processing. Many users, however, prefer the Canon due to its more intuitive menus.
Here are a few major considerations:
- Housing – The Sony RX100 VI has limited features with the Fantasea housing and that is quite a big disadvantage.
- Video – Another very clear difference is that the video quality of the Sony is far better than of the Canon.
- Macro capabilities – The Canon focuses closer and is better for macro photography.
- Manual Flash – The Canon allows full manual flash in all modes as opposed to the RX100 that only allows flash compensation but not full manual control
You can read about the 2 cameras here:
Review of the Canon G7X II: http://www.housingcamera.com/blog/product-reviews/fantasea-canon-g7xii-underwater-housing-review
Housing options for the Sony RX100 VI: https://www.housingcamera.com/popular-cameras-for-uw/point-and-shoot-housings/sony-rx100-vi
- Olympus announces the OM-D E-M5 III – Housings will soon follow – October 18, 2019
- Canon Releases the 90D DSLR – August 30, 2019
- Sony Releases the a6100 and a6600 Mirrorless Cameras – August 30, 2019