The long wait is over, as Olympus releases their new interchangeable lens camera – OM-D E-M1X.
Olympus has designed this new model directly for professional photographers, with a unique integrated grip that we have not seen before on mirrorless housings. Bold move, whether or not it was a smart move, we’ll find out soon enough! For underwater photographers, it’s definitely not good news and makes the housing much more challenging to produce, and much bigger.
The E-M1X has a deep finger rest on both sides that can give you a stable grip whether you use it vertically or horizontally. It’s still rather portable because it’s a Micro Four Thirds system, which allows you to hold the camera for a long period of time. IT features an ergonomic layout for easy controls. In addition to the usual lock, you can customize the C-Lock when using it in a different position. The E-M1X viewfinder has a 0.83x magnification with a 120 fps max.
With the Phase-detection AF, you can easily capture your subjects with its 121-point AF. The camera has a multi-directional joystick allows you to quickly switch from one AF function to another. It has a Face and Eye Priority AF function which is great for portrait photography.
The E-M1X has a maximum of 60 fps AF/AE lock for high-speed shooting in capturing photos. The 20.4 M Live MOS Sensor will allow your shots to create high-quality images. Don’t want to disturb your subject? No worries! With this camera, you can set it in silent mode perfect for concert halls. This is compatible with the UHS-II cards.
- Image Sensor: 4/3 Live MOS Sensor
- Image Format: RAW (12-bit lossless compression), JPEG, RAW+JPEG
- Video Format: MOV (MPEG-4AVC / H.264)
- Viewfinder: Eye-level electronic viewfinder, approx. 2.36M dots
- AF System: High-speed imager AF: Imager phase detection AF and imager contrast AF used in combination: When a Micro Four Thirds lens (mount adapter sold separately necessary) is attached, imager phase detection AF is always enabled).
- Dimension: W: 144.4 mm, H: 146.8 mm, D: 75.4 mm (based on CIPA standards: excludes protrusions)
- Weight: Approx. 849 g (body only)
- ISO: AUTO ISO (default): LOW (approx.64) ‐ 6400 with customizable default and upper limit (200 – 6400)
Manual ISO: LOW (approx.64, approx.100), 200 – 25600 (adjustable in 1/3 or 1 EV steps)
We are expecting the OM-D E-M1X to be released in late February this year for the price of $3,000. Stay tuned for updates about new underwater housings for the E-M1X!