We get many questions about the comparison of these 2 leading cameras for underwater photography in the market.
TG-6 vs RX100 VI does not have one definite answer.
The first and foremost is that the TG-6 is waterproof. This means double protection, means great beach photography, excellent for snorkeling and just a fun family camera. The Sony RX100 VI has a long zoom range, it’s an incredible topside camera for your day trips and everyday use.
But let’s put these aside and talk about which camera will get you better underwater photos:
- No manual mode – The TG-6 does not have a manual mode. Such a model is quite important when shooting with a strobe and getting the best shot.
- Macro capabilities – The TG-6 focuses very very close, you can shoot amazing macro shots with it without a diopter, not other compact allows that.
- Image Quality – The RX100 VI has amazing image quality with its 1″ sensor. Even that it does not focus close, you can crop the image and get a better result than the TG-6.
- Video capabilities – The RX100 VI has very good video capabilities, you can actually shoot almost professional videos with it.
Bottom line, the RX100 VI is a far better camera but the TG-6 has many advantages over it and for the price, it would make an excellent choice.
Housing options for the RX100 VI: https://www.housingcamera.com/popular-cameras-for-uw/point-and-shoot-housings/sony-rx100-vi
Housing options for the Olympus TG-6: https://www.housingcamera.com/popular-cameras-for-uw/point-and-shoot-housings/olympus-tg-6
Latest posts by Tal Mor (see all)
- Panasonic LX100 II Released! Underwater Housings coming soon… – November 1, 2018
- Inon Z-330 Strobe – Best news of the day – November 24, 2017
- Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2017 Underwater Photography Deals – November 21, 2017